Thursday, July 25, 2013

Don't settle for mediocrity

I went to an event at a wonderful, temporary space in SF called Freespace. At an event/discussion titled "Don't Settle for Mediocrity, A Discussion about career transitions and finding meaningful work"

I was on the fence about attending since I am on the road to meaningful work as a Licensed Acupuncturist. But I am in a career transition in the respect that I have my career chosen, I just don't have my career yet.

Acupuncturists aren't exactly recruited by the top five clinics in the U.S. during their last year in school. We aren't met at the gates with signing bonuses, big salaries and health benefits. However, we have chosen meaningful work which can be fulfilling for a lifetime. I really appreciated this talk, because it acknowledge the scary parts, the challenging parts and the community of people that work to find meaningful work. It may not immediately be financially stable. It may not be a road with a path that is easy to follow. Yet there is meaning in this work and it took work to get here. Here is a list I got from the workshop. As we wound the discussion through different people's experiences we covered these points on how to make the transition. (As life seems to be one everlasting transition, this list seems pretty apt for a lifetime of meaningful work). I thought I would share. Maybe it can inspire you to, #6, take a tiny tiny step, towards whatever meaningful work you can imagine. I hope you can join me and we can share a life of work that is meaningful together.

1. Listen to that VOICE within

2. Lean INTO fear, be vulnerable. Name your fears.

3. Excuses: distinguish your voice vs. other voices

4. Find believers, not haters

5. Take your ideas seriously, SHARE THEM

6. Take a tiny tiny step

7. Embrace the journey

8. Balance $ + meaning (some venn diagram of SKILLS/IMPACT/LIFESTYLE)

9. Don't waste time!

No comments:

Post a Comment